Fundamentals of Mathematics - ICSE 2
Fundamentals of Mathematics–1 is the first of a series of five books that cover
the new curriculum implemented by the Council for the Indian School Certificate
Examinations at Primary Level, i.e., in classes I to V. The books of this series have
been designed to achieve the goal of developing mathematical skills and processes as
envisaged in the curriculum for these classes. The curriculum aims to ensure that
the children build a sound foundation in Mathematics by connecting and applying
mathematical concepts in a variety of ways.
The role of the teacher, of course, is of prime importance, especially assisting the children
in visualising the real-life situations in their daily lives wherein they apply mathematical
skills and processes to their advantage.
The role of the textbook is to support this process of mathematical learning by providing
content, conforming to the curriculum, and ensuring an apt direction of contentpresentation
which leads to right formation of concepts and development of appropriate
skills of application and mathematical processes.
Following distinguished features of the book will facilitate the achievement of learning
objectives by motivating the young minds and effectively assisting their teacher:
• Presentation of content is in a simple and easy language.
• A variety of approaches of presentation and skill development have been followed.
• Thoughtful illustrations ensure authentic visualisation of situations and make the
process of concept formation smoother and quicker.
• Solved examples, ample activities and provision of unsolved exercises strengthen
• Apt colourful illustrations effectively facilitate comprehension and learning of
otherwise not-so-easy content.
• Thoughtfully designed to play the dual role of a ‘textbook’ and ‘workbook’ in terms
of present-day educational convenience.
• The overall style of the narrative of content along with apt practice exercises and
activities seeks to sustain total involvement and interest of the learners and their
teacher in the process of learning.
Pane 2 Content
and so on ...